Thursday, July 29, 2010

Broody Hen




It's always the Barred Rocks. I always have one that wants to try and hatch a clutch of chicks in the peak of the summer heat. There is no rooster anymore and she doesn't realize it's futile. You can really philosphical about that . . . I just kick her off the nest a couple times a day to make sure she gets a drink of water every once and a while.

Speaking of which, David and I built a new water dispenser for them. It works really well and doesn't waste as much water as the old style did. Their water is always clean. I LOVE it. They just peck at the metal nipples in the bottom of the bucket and it dispenses water a little at a time right into their beak. We can fill the bucket from the outside of the cage too, right from the hose without having to lug it across the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your participation! Spam, disrespectful dialogue and anything I don't want in my space in general will be deleted.